Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Virtues of Monoculture, Or Why Microsoft Wins.

I found a very good piece of writing that points out many things I was confused about for a long time. This article precisely and sharply points out all my doubts with Open Source. So, I am now even more confused while struggling with Ruby and AJAX, REST and GWT... But I definitely know, that once you (or I) get to the .Net side "You’re always going to be running on a Windows platform. You got the pretty gold ring, but Sauron gets to pull your strings and make you dance."


Virtues of Monoculture, Or Why Microsoft Wins.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Monoculture limits the choices as Richard Stallman said. Everything looks great as long as you only need to inter-op with Microsoft products. If you want to do something advanced, you'd better subscribe to MSDN, otherwise you may need to spend tons of time to look for a solution in vein. I used to like the Visual Studio very much, but now I think any IDE will be good for me.

Unknown said...

I see, but look, using ONE product is seductive cose you have no need to think about anything else, you pretty good and you in fact are do the things that you need without "oscillating" and fooling around. Yes the way is not straightforward sometimes, but you know what to do - call MS support. Basically I don't know which way is better when you have stuff to be done to the certain deadline.