Monday, September 1, 2008

Starting the Fall'08.

Officially starting the Fall'08 semester.

This Fall I'm taking three classes: Compilers, Algorithms, and the independent study. As the part of my independent study, I'll be blogging the progress weekly here.

So, last week I spent coding the Trajectory page for the ProjectBrowser component of the Hackystat. This was my very first experience using Apache Wicket framework as well as Jetty Web Server, since previously in my web-development I was using Google Web Toolkit and Apache Tomcat. It was a fun experience to learn a new framework which is so different from GWT. Can’t say if it’s better or worse, but for sure it’s different. For now it looks a way easier to start coding using Wicket than GWT. When started I didn't follow the Hints for development guide but cloned the telemetry package and started by altering the existing code.

I've had the custom telemetry simulation package I've coded earlier for stand-alone trajectory so data for two trajectories were populated right away into my local sensorbase:

trajectory1 devtime plot

Trajectory1 has the lifecycle from the January, 1, 2008 till February, 1, 2008

trajectory2 devtime plot

while Trajectory2 has the lifecycle from the March, 1, 2008 till April, 1, 2008.

The lack of an overlap between lifecycles for the trajectory1 and trajectory 2 makes it impossible to plot both telemetry curves simultaneously using the Telemetry component of ProjectBrowser.

The Trajectory component "mission" is to overcome this limitation and on the following screenshot you can see the third week of devtime for the trajectory1 and second and third weeks of trajectory2:
the third week of devtime for the trajectory1 and second and third weeks of trajectory2

And the Trajectory UI screenshot:
The Trajectory UI screenshot.

The non-cropped version:


There are some changes I've made in the original Telemetry UI and plotting protocol I'd like to get feedback for:

1) The color schema for the plots: I've coded the new "color-picker" method which picks colors from the JetColors palette instead of random color selection. I personally found that some of the random colors which are selected by the original Telemetry color-picker are very hard to read.

2) As you can see, there is no "date ticks" at X axis of the plot... and I don't like it, but didn't explore yet the possibility to print two time-lines along the X axis.

3) Right now I can extend date interval for the one of the two projects to the right, I don't know if it's good or not, but it's rather feature than bug (IMO). I've got an idea that it would be nice to have the ability to introduce the indent before the one of projects interval beginning too... I'm almost there.

4) Should I merge my code with the hackystat-ui-wicket trunk?

So, this is my current progress and right now I'm implementing the Dynamic Time Warping algorithm for trajectories comparison. The current idea is to display the warped curves and warping procedure parameters just below the original trajectory plot.

.

No comments: